Happy New Year friends! Coming back to reality after a fantastic, relaxing, sun-kissed 8 days in Grand Cayman has been really difficult but I finally feel like I am back into the daily grind. Doesn’t hurt that it has been a constant 75-85 degrees in LA over the last couple of weeks. I do miss my scarves and boots, but I shouldn’t complain!
I have had some time to think about what I want to accomplish this year, and while I always stay clear from new year resolutions, I am happy to create goals for myself for the year. They help me to stay focused and drive my personal growth and well-being, allowing myself to actually quantify that growth. Here they are for 2014!
1. Learn Spanish (for real) and be conversational. I have already mentioned this to many and I am absolutely serious about this. I have taken a total of 8 years of Spanish in both a high school and college classroom and at this point it is ridiculous that I am not fluent. So, 2014 is the year. I am personally committing to starting off one day a week is Spanish only. I hope to let this cultural knowledge seep into my culinary endeavors too and experiment with more latin spices and flavors. Si!
2. Blog more! It is kind of funny how many pictures I take of food and food-related adventures but I don’t spend enough time sitting down to actually write and share the experiences I have. There are so many wonderful recipes and things that I want to share and I want to push myself to post once a week, at least!
3. Explore LA food and try new restaurants. I have heard so many people say “Wow you are so lucky you live in LA and have so many incredible vegan food options!” Yes, there are so many and I haven’t explored them! This needs to change. Since I don’t go out to eat that often, I usually get stuck in going to the same places. Going to new restaurants also helps me think of new recipes to try in the kitchen. So, I’d like to push myself to make a list and start going to these new restaurants. I hope to share the wonderful dishes and good times here!
4. RUN! The latter part of 2013 put working out and being active on hold with a knee injury and so many stomach problems. Now that I feel pretty amazing with the food I am eating, I am looking forward to making this the priority that it has been for the last several years. I am starting with a 10k in February and hope to work up to another half marathon by the end of the year. Slow and steady!
5. Continue learning and follow through. I always say I am a forever student and I actually always seek out learning opportunities, but I need to focus those experiences. I have so many wonderful books on cooking, teaching and life. I want to actually finish them and then plan how to implement the things I learn from these books. That starts with me putting even more time aside for reading, which I am absolutely happy with.🙂
Needless to say, I am so excited for what this year has to bring and looking forward to sharing it!
xoxo -The Yummy Bunny