Source: Inspiration from Urth Caffe
Skill level: Easy
Time: 30 minutes
- Bread, rustic-crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- 4 tsp. pesto: either pre-made or find the recipe here
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 roma tomato
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar-as much or as little as you want
I love pesto. Whenever I go out and see something with pesto on the menu, you can almost guarantee that is what I am getting. So, naturally, that happened when I went to Urth Caffe for the first time about two years ago. Their pesto chicken sandwich is absolutely delicious. When making this one, make sure you find some kind of rustic, hearty, crunchy-on-the-outside and soft-on-the-inside bread. It just won’t taste the same without it-even on your best slice of wheat bread.
1) Preheat oven to 400° F.
2) Cut bread into halves and spread about a tablespoon of pesto per half. Add more or less, to your liking.
3) Sprinkle mozzarella cheese onto one or both sides, depending on how cheesy you’d like your sandwich. I only put it on one side here.
4) Place the bread in the oven for about 10 minutes. The cheese and pesto should be melted into the bread.
5) While you wait for the bread in the oven, cook the chicken in a small amount of olive oil in a pan. I usually add salt, pepper, oregano and some rosemary (one of my favorite spices!) for flavor.
6) After the chicken is cooked, it is time to assemble your sandwich!
7) Drizzle the balsamic vinegar on the bread before topping off your ready to eat sandwich.
xoxo -The Yummy Bunny.