Source/Inspiration: Adapted from Veganbaking.net
Yield: 36 bite-sized cookies
Skill level: Easy
- 2 Tablespoons golden flax meal
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups + 2 Tablespoons vegan butter (or 1 3/4 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (at least!!)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Soooo blogging more definitely has not happened in the last two months-these are the hardest months at work and I totally got stuck in the whirlwind of it all. Regardless, I am so excited to share this recipe!
The biggest compliment a vegan chef or baker can get is “This is delicious- I can’t believe it is vegan!” I have baked these little nuggets so many times in the last couple of months-this recipe totally rivals my best chocolate chip cookie recipe I baked before becoming vegan. Even better, they are so quick and easy to make. I usually make the dough and bake just a few at a time. Caution: just because they are vegan doesn’t make them “healthy”- there is a ton of sugar in these babies, but makes for a delicious once-in-a-while treat!
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk the flax seed meal and water together in a small bowl. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes in the fridge while you mix the rest of the ingredients.
2) Combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. (The cinnamon is a wonderfully yummy touch!)
3) Combine the vegan butter and sugar until mixed together well. Add the flax seed mixture from step 1 and stir. Once combined, add the molasses and vanilla extract and mix until combined-this smells delicious!
4) Gradually add the flour mixture from step 2 and mix together.
5) Once the dough is combined (use your hands if necessary!) add in the chocolate chips.
6) Form small round dough balls using two spoons. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
How will you enjoy this little delicious treat?!
xoxo -The Yummy Bunny